Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rectangle and Triangle Tessellations

Rectangle Tessellation:


















Triangle Tessellation:




















1. Which tessellation did you find more interesting to do? In what ways was it more interesting than the other? Please explain.


I found that creating the triangle tessellation was more interesting to do. It was more interesting to do for several reasons, one of them being it looks more atheistically pleasing. I thought that my drawing was poorly done on my rectangular tessellation, but my triangle tessellation turned out really neat and crisp looking because I could use a photograph. The photograph I chose was one that depicted fire at night. I liked the patterns this picture made better than the pattern I had for my rectangle tessellation. Another reason I liked doing the triangle tessellation more is because of the way the tessellations were made. As I mentioned before, my drawing for the rectangle tessellation came out pretty sloppy. This is understandable seeing as I have never drawn on photoshop before. I was much happier cutting up an already made picture to use instead of drawing my own. The two tessellations also required me to use different tools. I used more tools and learned more about photoshop when I made my triangle tessellation versus when I made my rectangle one. This made the designing process much more interesting and enlightening.

2. Look at your peers' work on the ning . Which two designs do you find the most
successful? What qualities make them so successful?

I thought that Tommy’s triangle tessellation is a really successful design. It’s successful because it includes multiple tessellated triangles in the 8x10 constraints, unlike some of the other designs. It is also successful because the different colors in each of the triangles really makes each other pop out, probably because yellow and purple are contrasting colors. Not only is it interesting to look at, but the design looks seamless. All of the triangles match up and there are no dividing lines.

Another design that I believe was executed successfully is Samantha’s triangle design. Even though there is only one large octagon and the other tessellated shapes get cropped from the screen, I found this design very interesting. I probably like it so much because I love the color blue. This tessellation incorporates many different shades and intensities of blue. I also like how you can still kind of tell what the original picture was; it could have been a landscape with a tree in winter time. I also like how the central octagon is bordered by black and a blue streak that looks cool all fuzzed out. To top is off, this design is lined up very well, and you can’t see any dividing lines.

3. Looking at the Grading Criteria for each design, how would you rate BOTH designs on a scale of 1-4, 4 being the highest? Please explain each grade.

I would grade my triangle tessellation a 3.5. I know, I know, I always grade myself a 3.5. This time I swear it’s applicable! Even though I did have a drawing of an animal with no background, my craftsmanship isn’t all that great. My lines are pretty shaky and thick. My detail is average. My animal...creature...thingy does have an eye, mouth, and radical looking coat, but I believe it to be lacking any real creative detail, especially when I compare it to the example on the wiki. The rainbow coat also seems like a childish idea now, and I should have tried out different color gradients before I decided on that one. However, my tessellation is in jpeg format, 8x10 at 72 dpi, and feels united. It is an average piece, but it’s also unique. That’s why I give it a 3.5.

I like my triangle design much better than my rectangle design. I think I might actually give myself a 4 on this! I believe my craftsman ship is high quality. I used an interesting picture, and I followed the photoshop video directions exactly to produce a tessellation. There are no visible seams on my design; I zoomed in after placing each piece to make sure they fit together exactly. I also chose a good section of the fire from the picture to use. It was a section that had little wisps of flame, a bright part of the fire, and a section of the night-time background. This makes my design unique and interesting. The bright, fire made triangles really pop out against the dark blue and black triangles. The wisps also look cool, like red hot confetti. My final image is 8x10 inches at a resolution of 72 dpi and has been flattened, named, and saved to the server correctly. All and all, I feel this tessellation is a fairly solid design.

No comments:

Post a Comment